Y&Y Inc. -- Computer Modern Fonts
Computer Modern from Y&Y
(TM) Computer Modern is a registered trademark of the American Mathematical Society.
- Includes all 75 fonts in Donald E. Knuth's Computer Modern family
- Has the revisions to both math italic and math symbol fonts made in the last few years by Donald E. Knuth.
- Quality "hinting" not available in TrueType versions
- Can be used with any Windows application --- including DVIWindo, Y&Y's Windows-based previewer for DVI files
- Size of each font file averages between 25k and 30k bytes, for a total of about 2M bytes for the complete set of 75 fonts (compare with the 6M to 12M of a typical low-resolution bitmapped PK-file font set)
- Can be supplemented (at additional cost) with the extra LaTeX + SliTeX font set (including the LateX "line," "circle" and "symbol" fonts as well as the fonts used in SliTeX)
- Can also be supplemented (at additional cost) with the AMS (American Mathematical Society) font set in Type 1 format
- If you like the Computer Modern look but need TeX to hyphenate material containing accented characters, then consider the European Modern font set. (In CM, accented characters are constructed using TeX's \accent macro, which introduces explicit kerning that stops the hyphenation engine).
- If you like the Computer Modern look but need to use the fonts with Windows applications other than TeX, then consider the European Modern font set. (In CM, the text fonts do not have a `space' character and are lacking many other characters one expects to find in text fonts.
Discussion of Font Choices for TeX